FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradual Blur in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Kohr
Gradual Blur in Illustrator
on Aug 10, 2009 at 3:41:45 am

Hi all - hoping someone can help me.....I'm attempting to create a gradual blur effect on a layer.....basically what I have is a simple rectangular object which is blue in color. I simply want to have the left side be blurry and gradually increase in sharpness until it is completely sharp on the right hand side. It's kinda like creating a gradient where a color evenly and gradually gets darker in color, except in my case my effect isn't with the color, but rather the layer/shape evenly and gradually gets sharper and sharper.............how can I accomplisdh this?

Return to posts index

Paul Hennell
Re: Gradual Blur in Illustrator
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:18:09 am

Don't have illustrator open so this isn't very detailed insturctions (and still a bit of a newb, so it might not be the best way) - but it should be possible to achieve this with use of a opacity mask.

Copy your artwork and paste it in front of the original. Blur this copy of the artwork, and then use the transparency window to add an opacity mask to it. (using the panels options triangle menu in the upper right)

Now by adding a black & white gradient onto the mask you'll fade the blurred version out, showing the normal underneath. Bit of a kludge - but it'll look like a gradient based blur.

Notes if the above hasn't worked - You might need to make the gradient first and select it with the art work to make the opacity mask - I can't remember exactly how it works. Also the two check boxes in the opacity mask settings (Invert and the other one) might change how it looks if it doesn't seem to work the first time. Also I use CS3 - if you don't I have no idea how things might differ.

Good luck!

---
Only in after effects do children get to pick and whip their parents.
http://hennell-online.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]