FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Nicholson
Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?
on Jul 27, 2009 at 9:09:46 am

I have an image I created in Photoshop CS3, in which all of the layers but 1 are vector-based (i.e. shapes and text). Basically I need to vectorize the *whole* image so it can be blown up to 8 feet by 2 feet for a sign company -- so I opened the .psd in Illustrator CS3, and "live traced" the only rasterized layer to make it into a vector. All good so far, looks great. The only problem is that when I try to export the file to pdf or save as anything other than .ai, it only saves a cropped version of the image - a tiny portion of it. I don't have anything selected when I save, at least not as far as I can tell - what would cause Illustrator to keep doing this?? Unfortunately I'm not as familiar with AI as I am with PS. Also, is there a way to change the fonts to vector shapes instead of fonts, so that the sign company doesn't need them installed on their own computer to view (I know how to rasterize type, but I need it to be vector-based still - do I have to rasterize and *then* vectorize it?). Basically, how do I get the entire image to the sign printers, all vectorized, looking the same way it looks in the .ai file on my screen?? Thank you for any help - this is very time-sensitive, unfortunately.

Macbook PRO 3,1
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MAC OSX 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?
on Jul 27, 2009 at 2:12:37 pm

If you have all vectors in the PS file, you shouldn't need to Live Trace anything. You probably don't even need to go to AI.
Can't you just increase the image size of the PS file, and save a TIF/LZW or PDF?

Anyway, to move the info to Illustrator and create a print that looks like what you have on your screen...

Maybe File/Export/Paths to Illustrator.
Than copy the text objects out of PS and paste into the AI file.

The cropping issue in AI might be the Document Size, File/Document Setup. Check to see if you have View/Show Artboard enabled.

To outline type, select the text and Type/Create Outlines. Do this with a copy of the live-text AI file... _live.ai, _ol.ai

Although I've seen good good prints from RGB design files, it's generally a good idea to design in CMYK.

If you're using any transparencies, that's a whole 'nother issue.

Vince

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
Re: Illustrator will only export tiny portion of image!!?
on Sep 19, 2009 at 9:32:25 am

Check also if you don't have clipping path turned in Photoshop that might ne causing the undesired cropping. If you don't have any then most likely is a bug, you need to resave your file with a new name and relink all your Photoshop files to the new one. This last step is very important, remove the linked files from he conflicted illustrator document and then resave it, not the other way around.

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]