FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a simple, specific shape to export to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Murphy
Making a simple, specific shape to export to After Effects
on Jul 20, 2009 at 2:36:17 am

I am experimenting with different ways to create a mask effect in After Effects CS3. Toward this end, in Illustrator CS4 I want to create a rectangle of specific pixel dimensions, skewed to a specific angle, and import it to AE. I need a little help doing so, as my Illustrator skills are primitive and I need to compensate for pixel aspect ratio, which I don't thoroughly grasp.

In AE I want the dimensions of the rectangle to be 1200 pixels wide and 480 pixels tall; I want to skew it 45 degrees to the right. Can you tell me how to create in Illustrator a rectangle of this size, skewed in this manner, so I can import it to AE?

(I tried to make and Illustrator document set to film & video settings and make a rectangle as described. I got stuck.)

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Making a simple, specific shape to export to After Effects
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:28:28 am

Basically two ways.
You can press 'M', to activate the Rectangle Tool, than click on the artboard. A dialogue box will appear, and you can input the dimensions in px (1200 px, etc.).
Or, if you already have a rectangle on the artboard, you can select it and open the Transform window, and enter the W and H dimensions there.

To skew, again, select the object. And in the Transform tab, you'll notice a little icon of a box made of 9 boxes. Probably selecting any of the 9 anchors will work. Than enter 45 degrees as the Shear angle.

Hope this helps.

Vince

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Jul 20, 2009 at 6:13:18 pm

Thanks, Vince.

I followed your instructions and did make the rectangle, as needed. I imported it into AE and did not get the result I was looking for. I think I'll head over the the AE forum and see if I can get some suggestions there.

Best,
Victoria

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:30:45 pm

you're welcome

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]