FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a .BMP

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Franzen
Exporting a .BMP
on Jul 17, 2009 at 6:04:16 pm

I am rather new to using illustrator so I hope I describe my problem with enough detail that someone might be able to help me.

I am trying to export to a BMP file. In CS3 I would set crop marks around what I wanted exported and it would do that just fine. In CS4 I am understanding that crop marks don't work like they did before and now I can not export just the marked area. I have tried to export for the web, but bmp is not one of the file options.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Exporting a .BMP
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:17:42 pm

So what is the problem? You can't export BMPs from AI, or you don't know how to use CS4 crop areas, or both?

In CS4 you use the "Artboard Tool" to set the crop area and it's size. It's somewhat different to use than in CS3. When you export, whatever is within the area that is defined by the Artboard Tool, will be exported.

Just look up Artboard Tool in the help file.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Illustrator/14.0/WS0939CFEE-49EF-4c6f-B337-8897...

Return to posts index

Dan Franzen
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:48:28 pm

When exporting a BMP I get all of the art, not just the area selected in the artboard. When you choose to export a BMP, the artboard area selection option in the menu is not available as it is in the other formats.

So I guess it's a little of both. How do I get the BMP export to follow the artboard selection?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:58:57 pm

You are right. Don't know if it's intentional or broken. The solution is, don't use BMP. Use TIFF. When you export, you can specify to use the artboard for export.

If you gotta have BMP, then go into PS and save the exported TIF as BMP.

Return to posts index

Dan Franzen
on Jul 21, 2009 at 2:52:47 pm

Thanks for the work around idea.

Return to posts index

Ginoh Soero
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:00:07 pm

Sorry for the late post, but it's only because I just recently experienced this very problem myself. No need for the workaround, however. In the "Export" dialog-box, you can simply check "Use Artboards, then choose "All" or "Range" and voila, no more excess space around the artwork. The only nag is that a "-01" (or whichever number of the artboard) will be added to the filename, but I can live with that.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ginoh Soero
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:56:46 pm

Oops, I didn't respond well to the actual question with my previous post. For .BMP export the "Use Artboard" option is indeed grayed-out. So, I guess it's back to the workaround, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]