FORUMS: list search recent posts

Line Paths into 1 (trying to Join them)

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Greenwood
Line Paths into 1 (trying to Join them)
on Jun 17, 2009 at 6:14:00 pm

I am tracing (not the command, but physically following and creating lines with a tablet) a template in Illustrator CS3, and made a few different lines.

I wanted to connect the lines by going to Object>Path>Join, but I got the error of them not being on the same path.

I realize they are not on the same path, but how do I put all my lines on the same path so that I can join them?

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Line Paths into 1 (trying to Join them)
on Jun 17, 2009 at 8:27:10 pm

Make sure that the paths you are trying to join are not grouped, with anything.
Also, make sure there are no other points hidden above or below the points you are trying to join. Do this in Outline mode, and move the points with the Direct Select tool, than you can see if there are any strays hiding on the same location.
Make sure you are only selecting the desired points with the Direct Selection tool, and not the whole path.
Or, try using the Pen Tool to join the paths.

Vince

Return to posts index

Norman Greenwood
on Jun 17, 2009 at 8:32:52 pm

I tried your initial advice, and nothing is grouped, and there are no hidden points scattered about. Still no go.

I will try connecting them with the pen tool and see if I can use the bezier handles to make it look like one line.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Jun 17, 2009 at 8:41:21 pm

To try to isolate the issue, you could use the Group Selection Tool and Shift Select the two paths, copy them, and paste them into a new document, than see if you can join them there.

If you'd like you could post an AI file with the objects in question, or mail it to me through my site.

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]