FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Shadow troubles

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mooney
Drop Shadow troubles
on May 15, 2009 at 7:29:30 pm

Hello all,

I am having some issues in regards to printing drop shadows. From my searching, it seems that a lot of people seem to have issues with them.

Here is what is going on;

When I go to print the drop shadow places a rectangular box as long as the text. I have done all the tricks to get rid of this box. I have had much success at this. As many of you know in order to get rid of the boxes you either have to make a PDF, rasterize the individual images, or make it a tiff, jpg etc.

Now my issue comes up when printing after adjusting and getting "rid" of the box, the color is altered. Changing my nice Kelly Greenesque color to a muddy, darker Blueish Green.

Does anyone have any thoughts here??

My brain is tired.

Any help our thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Drop Shadow troubles
on May 15, 2009 at 11:36:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen this sort of thing before. I can't say for sure what he issue is in your file.
Are you getting any warnings in the Print Summary?
Maybe try adjusting the Print/Advanced/Overprint setting?
I see a lot of designers use rasterized shadows, to avoid this.

Just a few thoughts.

Vince

Return to posts index

Michael Mooney
on May 18, 2009 at 3:13:18 am

Hi Vince,

Thanks for commenting. I rasterized the images that had drop shadows. When I did this, all the color in the file was changed.

The reason I need to print from my eps file is because I am trying to match a color that I have printed previously for a client.

I am thinking about getting rid of the of the drop shadows and placing some black text behind it and bluring it out.
However, I think the blur effect will be give me the same problems the drop shadow has given me.

Any suggestions would be great.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 19, 2009 at 2:03:02 pm

If you could post the file, or send it to rosati.v (at) gmail, I could take a look at it.

Vince

Return to posts index

Michael Ibanez
on May 31, 2009 at 5:41:17 am

The "rectangular box" around drop-shadows occurs only when printing on desktop printers. I have sent many a files to pre-press without any problems.

My final files have always gone to press without a problem--even though the "rectangular box" showed up in my color separations (from desktop post script printers). As such, I have always treated it as a bug, knowing it would not be rendered at press.

-----

Michael Ibanez
16x9 Inc.
michael@16x9inc.com
Exclusive US Distributor for Chrosziel, Bebob, & EasyRig
Exclusive Worldwide Distributor for 16x9 Inc., Noga Cine Arms

Return to posts index

Michael Mooney
on May 31, 2009 at 2:27:13 pm

I wasn't printing on a desktop printer. I am using HP Wide Format printers and I was going through a rip. What I had to do was save the file as an [eps] to preserve the colors (because I was matching a previous job without drop shadows) and when saving there is an option that Illustrator provides to keep as vector or rasterize.
I had to rasterize and color adjust in the rip. I also had to adjust the color of the image (people's skin tones) to counter the rip adjustments.

It was a mighty big pain the a$$. The final results looked great so it was all worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]