FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying a Gradient to a Text Layer

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Christians
Applying a Gradient to a Text Layer
on Apr 3, 2009 at 2:29:11 pm

Morning Everyone,

I have been working with AfterEffects, Premiere and Photoshop since 1998 and am pretty well versed in these Adobe products. But I recently got Illustrator and although I am comprehending some of it, I am running into a head scratching problem that I need some expert help on.

I created a Text layer in Illustrator with no stroke on it. no problem there. I want to apply a simple gradient to the text layer (white to green, vertically) but find that I can not. Here is in lies the problem that I am having.

How do I apply the gradient tool to a text layer?
What steps are involved in doing this?

I have been scratching my head for two days with this and the Help Index inside Illustrator and the Adobe CS3 Video Workshop DVD that came with the Adobe Software is not presenting the solution to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
KTTC-Redbeard

Return to posts index

ronaldo montalvo
Re: Applying a Gradient to a Text Layer
on Apr 3, 2009 at 10:45:32 pm

set your type, make a copy of the type layer and convert the copy to outlines (command+shift+O on a mac). then apply the gradient to the outline version of the type. if you need to edit the type, the copy allows you to go back to the original font and make changes.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Apr 4, 2009 at 11:01:32 pm

It is a misconception that you cannot apply effects to live type.
Select the type object, than go to the Appearance palette. Click on the drop-down and choose 'Add new Fill' (or Stroke).
This places an effect on top the objects existing components.
That is to say, if the text is black and you add a new fill layer with a gradient, the black is still there, it's just underneath the effect.

Hope this helps

Vince

Return to posts index

ronaldo montalvo
on Apr 5, 2009 at 7:03:13 pm

duh.... of course that's much better. thanks for the right answer vincent. misconception corrected.

Return to posts index

Eric Christians
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:47:33 pm

Thanks Ronaldo & Vincent!

Appreciate all your help with this little problem of mine.
Sorry so late to respond with the gratitude, been coping with a sick kid all last weekend and yesterday. First chance I had to hop online.

I knew there was a simple solution, I just couldn't see it.
Thanks again Rolando and Vincent for the help!

Eric C

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Apr 22, 2009 at 6:04:38 am

I learned, in graphic design school!, that you had to outline text before applying effects. I did it that way for years :)

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]