FORUMS: list search recent posts

Single Line Path

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Archer
Single Line Path
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:17:53 pm

Is there a way to type in AI and turn your path around letters into a single line path that could be easily stroked in After Effects. I am trying to chalkboard and am getting a double image in AE Thanks

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
Re: Single Line Path
on Mar 9, 2009 at 7:45:31 pm

I think the "Covert to Outlines" command under the "Type" menu will help you out. Select your text object, hit that command, and then you have vector outlines of your type. You can copy and paste that path into AE on a solid or for a target parameter of an effect.

Arie Stavchansky | Demo Reel | Portfolio of Creative Work

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:13:38 pm

It Does work well, but It makes a double sided outline that when I stroke it actually goes around the font twice. I would like to make a single stroke if possible without doing it manually. Yes I want to cheat. My client says it looks OK but I dont like it. Thanks Arie.

A cut is a cut & a dissolve is a disolve, and not just anybody with a system is a pro.

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:26:55 pm

Having a difficult time envisioning what you mean. Can you post a screenshot? My intuition tells me this is more an issue with your parameter settings on the stroke effect. You may need to play around with those.

Arie Stavchansky | Demo Reel | Portfolio of Creative Work | Blog

Return to posts index

Dan Archer
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:37:20 pm

WHen you make a path with the pen tool it gives you a solid one line path. When you make an outline of a font you the the inside path and the outside path. That creates two lines when stroked in AE. Its like drawing the stroke around the font instead of drawing the font. I am begining to think its not possible with out going to the pen tool.

Return to posts index

Arie Stavchansky
on Mar 11, 2009 at 6:46:41 pm

What type of font are you using? Is it one where the letter forms are outlines? I think you may be talking about the difference b/w an open and closed path. But, either way, if you want to make your font an open path (a single line), use the Scissors tool in Illustrator and click anywhere on the closed path that makes up the letter, then click again somehwere near that point, then delete the path that is created as a result of the cuts. Try copying and pasting that result. . .

Arie Stavchansky | Demo Reel | Portfolio of Creative Work | Blog

Return to posts index

Kent Leech
on Mar 18, 2009 at 7:22:50 am

I just found this thread as I have a similar problem.

I am creating a logo for a company that will use a CNC machine to route the logo into metal. Some of it has pretty small type. Creating outlines generates just that, as opposed to a single path in the center of the letter, which produces a cleaner line on the CNC.

I found in another forum thread that one solution is to use the blend tool, setting the number of steps set to "1". It should produce a single path down the center of the letter. I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck!

-Kent

Return to posts index

Kent Leech
on May 5, 2009 at 10:43:28 pm

A brief follow-up to this issue-

The clunky workaround of outlining fonts, de-compounding, then blending (set to 1) proved more trouble than it was worth. I's and V's were ok, but B's and the like came out a mess. It would be easier just to draw the letters it by hand, as single strokes.

A sadly lacking ability of AI, in my opinion...

-Kent Leech

Return to posts index

edward ward
on Aug 18, 2009 at 9:08:36 am

Hi,

I thought i would add my two cents to add to the confusion here.

I to require a single line font for use on a laser cutter. the laser head follows a stroke, so i get the outline on my material just as looks in Illustrator. Sometimes thats ok, but for a job I have at the moment it isn't, and it also takes twice the time, going around each letter twice apposed to just the once!

Did any of you guys find a solution to this issue? I would rather not have to draw each letter by hand - although it could be quicker in the long run. :)

Edward.

Return to posts index

tibor robit
on May 17, 2011 at 8:02:24 pm

Hello, I have te same problem.
Trying to order a Steel Stamp from Infinitystamps.
I vectorised my logo, sent it to them but they ask me to send a single-lined text.

Isn't there a simple tool that reshapes regular fonts into lines ?
Illustrator only provides an "outline" tool, useless in this case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]