FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importance of vector design

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Van Kleeck
Importance of vector design
on Feb 9, 2009 at 7:42:52 pm

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to Photoshop and a total novice at Illustrator. I'm wondering if anyone knows if designing something for a t-shirt should be done in Illustrator from the get-go. I guess I'm thinking in terms of the sharpness of the edges, I want it to look as crips as possible. The design will be a lot of thin lines and sharp-edged shapes or various things with little or no gradation. I am brand, brand new to Illustrator so I will have to learn from scratch. But if the company printing the design wuill require a vector based image in the first place, or charge me to convert a PSD file to vector, I'm guessing I should take the time to learn now. Any thought? Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Toby

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Dave Johnson
Re: Importance of vector design
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:47:12 pm

I've never done t-shirt design and obviously can't speak on what the vendor you're dealing with will require or charge, but here's some very general info that might answer your questions anyway.

Illustrator is a vector program, Photoshop is not. That means several things ...

The main advantage of vector art is that it can be used at literally any size without quality loss ... from a postage stamp to a billboard. Photoshop is primarily for raster images, which only retain 100% quality at 100% (or less) the size the images were created at.

A PSD can't be converted to vector art ... it can be saved as a file type that usually denotes vector art (EPS, AI, etc.), but that doesn't make it vector art.

In general, it's always best to create original designs as vector art regardless of the intended purpose(s). However, whether that is practical in your situation and whether a raster image will suffice is a call only you can make.

Return to posts index

Toby Van Kleeck
Re: Importance of vector design
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:29:47 pm

Thanks for some more clarification on the subject. Much appreciated!

-Toby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]