FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator CS4 Direct Select Tool no longer works

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gondek
Illustrator CS4 Direct Select Tool no longer works
on Feb 9, 2009 at 6:12:23 pm

I have a tennis racket and the strings are some step and repeated lines within an oval mask. ALL that I want to do is to delte the extra lines at the ends, but CANNOT select them.

I have to now release the mask just to delete a line, then reselect everything andonce again recreate my mask.

Is there an easier way to do this (besides turning the very annoying isolate on??).

These last 2 Illustrator upgrades from Adobe seem to be a step backwards.

Return to posts index

Gabe Macias
Re: Illustrator CS4 Direct Select Tool no longer works
on Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11:30 pm

Yes, there is an easier way. Open the Transparency panel, and expand to "Show Options". More than likely the mask is still selected, so any editing being done will only occur on the mask. Just select the layer you want (the one to the left of the mask) and edit as needed. Hope this helps :D

Gabe

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and make kids into better human beings!"
-Professor Membrane

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 18, 2009 at 6:34:43 am

Thanks Gabe for trying to help, but that did not work for me. This is even simpler as there is no transparency mask on this, it is just something changed in Illustrator CS4 that I am still looking for an easier way.

Anyone else using CS4 find a way around the direct select tool not selecting items in masks anymore?? Please don't tell me I have to turn isolate on, as that slows me down even more on complex jobs.

Illustrator CS4 is really turning out to be a bad upgrade and making everyday editing take so much longer.

Return to posts index

Pavel Akrman
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:41:50 am

Check, if you have in General preferences the "Double click to isolate" option selected. Then double-click on any visible part of masked arwork with Selection Tool to isolate entire mask (grey box with path above displays your position) - now you can select any visible and invisible part of masked artwork like in CS3. When done, double-click again anywhere on blank artboard to return in normal mode.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]