FORUMS: list search recent posts

ai files

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Vayianos
ai files
on Jan 19, 2009 at 1:06:38 am

Hey guys, I'm having trouble importing .ai files into FCP. I know it doesn't recognize them, so I want to know what the best way to convert them with Photoshop is. Every method I've tried does not allow me to zoom into the image without losing quality. But when I open them with preview I can zoom in as far as I want with no quality loss. What I've done for now is just taken a screen shot of the ai file while its zoomed in on preview, and then importing that PNG to final cut. I'm sure there has to be a better way. If anyone can offer any advice that would be great. One of the ai image files I'm working with is this: http://www.filedropper.com/thestashlogos

I'm also having the same problem with this PDF file: http://www.filedropper.com/killingtonstickersheetfrontdk

Thanks.
Tom

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: ai files
on Feb 9, 2009 at 3:35:47 am

FYI, I just copied my reply to this post and changed the word "Premiere" to "Final Cut Pro":
Re: Fuzzy Graphics!!! by Dave Johnson on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:35:10 pm

Illustrator is a vector program ... FCP is not. So, artwork from Illustrator will only remain sharp at 100% scale (as is the case with everything else in FCP). If you need it to be bigger in your FCP project, increase the size of the object in Illustrator to the size you need and save it that way.

FYI, the same applies when you go from Illustrator to Photoshop ... Illustrator is a vector program ... Photoshop is not. So, artwork from Illustrator will only remain sharp in Photoshop at 100% scale.

When you convert an AI to something else or simply open and resave it from Photoshop, you are rasterizing it so it is no longer vector ... thats what the window when you first open a vector image in Photoshop is asking ... at what size you want to rasterize it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]