FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator question

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Illustrator question
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:58:53 pm

Using Illustrator (CS4) Is there a way to find out how long a circular path is?

I have a circle that i wish to apply a dash effect to, but i want to be able to create a specific number of dashes along that line. Its to simulate etching marks on a compass or viewscope.
If i could find out how to determine the length of the curved path, then working out the dash sizes is a piece of cake...i hope!

thanks
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Nathan Grealish
Re: Illustrator question
on Jan 8, 2009 at 8:25:38 am

Circumference is the "length" of the outside of the circle. To find out how long that line is do this simple equation

Circumference = 3.14*Diameter

So, to find the Circum. of the circle, find out the Diameter of the circle (from one side to the other). To do that;

1. Make the circle.
2. Click and hold on the "Eye dropper tool" to find the "measuring tool" inside the same group.
3. Measure straight accross the circle at its farthest points.
4. Plug that measurement into your equasion as your *Diameter* (e.g. C = 3.14*2.05 : C = 6.437)
5. Now take that measurement of C (or 6.437) and divide that by the number of lines you need to find out how many inches (or in this case, tenths of an inch) you need.

I hope this was what you were looking for.

Always Start with the End in Mind

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Jan 8, 2009 at 9:03:33 am

thanks Nathan,

I had a horrible feeling it was going to involve maths !

regards
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Douglas Brett
on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:51:48 am

It's a little late I know but I have only just found this forum and my answer might be useful in future to someone who asks the same question. The easiest way to find the diameter od a circle (or the size of any other object) is to check the Transform palette. You can then do the sums if you like but much more accurate, and not involving any equations, is to use a script. Google aics_scripts_en and you'll find a suite of excellent scripts by Hiroyuki Sato. Not only is he pretty good at js but he is also a generous hearted soul and these routines are free to all. Amongst the fun stuff are several massively useful routines, my favourite is Round any corner which regularly saves me hours of work, but you will also find Divide which will answer the original question here. Alternatively you could simply use Circle which generates a circle with a specified number of anchors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]