FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrater Drop Shadows

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason kim
Illustrater Drop Shadows
on Sep 24, 2008 at 9:16:24 pm

Hello I have a question regarding Drop Shadow in Illustrator. I am running version CS3.

So my problem is this. I am making a logo for somebody and they want a drop shadow on it. For some reason I see that there are 2 Drop Shadow menu through Effect and Filter. The only difference I see is that there is a check box in Filter that says "Create Separate Shadow." I tried checking and unchecking that box but clearly it does nothing.

What I need is two things.

One, I need the shadow to be proportional with the logo. Kind of like keeping the shadow to logo ratio. It makes no sense that the logo has to be resized and re-given the shadow effect every time. I am sure there is a way to keep the proportions.

Two, I need the shadow to be "baked" with the logo. I realized that the shadow is actually a sub layer. Is there a way to keep the shadow and logo in 1 layer? I guess what I mean is like how Photoshop does it. I thought that the "Create Separate Shadows" check box was the culprit that was creating it in a different layer but that wasn't it.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kelley
Re: Illustrater Drop Shadows
on Sep 25, 2008 at 5:11:54 pm

First you need to understand the difference between Filters and effects. When you create a drop shadow with the filter, it's making a drop shadow as it's own element that you can not change. What the "Create Separate Shadow." does, is it doesn't link the shadow to the image so it can me moved, like it is it's own object seperate object. Without that being checked, the object and shadow are linked.

When you create a drop shadow with an effect, that is an illustrator vector image that can be changed and modified (by using the appearance window). It will also have a transparent background, which I'm guesssing is what you want,

Let me know if that makes sense

http://www.willinois.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]