FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfering from PS to Illustrator woes!!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malcolm DeSoto
transfering from PS to Illustrator woes!!!!
on Aug 1, 2008 at 10:52:17 pm

First off, I'm a complete Illustrator noob.

So I have a graphic I created in Photoshop that I need to send to another company as an Illustrator file.

So, I open the doc in Illustrator and it then informs me that it's converting photoshop layers to objects. It then opens up fine and all seems to be well.

I then chose to save it as an .EPS doc.

I get a message that says, "When spot colors are used with transparency, changing them to process colors outside Illustrator can generate unexpected results."

I just click, "continue".

I have to go through one last dialogue box before saving. I don't mess with any of the controls in there.

After saving, it seems to open back up fine in Illustrator.

However, every time the graphic designer at the other company tries to open it up, he says that the file is corrupted.

Any ideas? I am clueless here!

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: transfering from PS to Illustrator woes!!!!
on Aug 3, 2008 at 7:50:41 pm

Hmm..
Typically, I'd start in Illustrator, than go to Photoshop when necessary.

Basically, try recreating the file as an AI file, piece by piece.
Save a rasterized version of the art and place it in Illustrator as a temp background, in a locked layer.
Create paths from any vector objects or shapes in the PSD and 'Export Paths to Illustrator'.
Highlight and copy any text in the PSD than paste into Illustrator.
Save any raster or Smart Objects as individual files, than place them into the AI file.
That's probably the cleanest way to do it.

Also, maybe you could save the PSD as a Press Quality PDF or EPS, than open that in Illustrator.

Can't your print service use a PDF?

Unless you turn off the spot color warning, you will always get it when you are using spot colors - It's a good thing.
If this is going to be printed in CMYK, keep your spot color file as a master, but 'save as' a CMYK version and convert all of your spots to CMYK.

Vince

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSoto
on Aug 4, 2008 at 3:48:54 pm

Thanks for your input. that was very helpful. I'll try exporting paths.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Aug 4, 2008 at 4:19:42 pm

Dont worry abut the "unexpected results" message that has to do with color shifting.

Take your illustrator file and do a save as and save as Illustrator CS rather than Illustrator CS3. I have a feeling you may have a newer version of Illustrator than your vendor.

I believe the question needs to be asked " Why do they need EPS?" Are they looking for vector quality. If so then shapes and text can retain in vector quality in going from Photoshop to Illustrator, using save as EPS and choosing Keep vector Data. as to EPS. (you will want to convert text to shapes first).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]