FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP: Can you switch Illustrator’s file Linking feature from ABSOLUTE to RELATIVE?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick vand
HELP: Can you switch Illustrator’s file Linking feature from ABSOLUTE to RELATIVE?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 10:46:14 am

Hi guys,

I’m working on a rather large project in which there are around 30 AI files all linking to around 100 PSD files. Is there a way to switch Illustrator’s Linking feature from Absolute to Relative? So I can simply copy the parent directory to any location and it will all work without showing broken tags?

It isn't possible to wrap the final AI up with all the images embedded because the file becomes unworkable and removes the dynamic ability to update content from Photoshop. We are wanting to maintain the Linking relationship.

I’ll be stunned if projects aren’t this flexible – I’m hoping there is a solution to this.

Thanks to all for any advise/suggestions! Much appreciated.

Cheers
Nick.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: HELP: Can you switch Illustrator’s file Linking feature from ABSOLUTE to RELATIVE?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 12:58:28 pm

When swithcing to another machine, links get broken becasue the EXACT path name has cahnegd (eg: name of hard drive).

Illustrator does have built in relative linking, but it works only if you placed psd, is next to teg .ai file in the saem folder.

I often get a DVD and when I try to open the .ai file most of the links are broken and there are about 100 folders on the disk. My solution is to take all the files and put them in one folder.

What Illustrator desperately needs since 1.0 version is a collect for output as in InDesign. There is a program called flightcheck that will gather your links and fonts from a .ai file.

Return to posts index

Nick vand
Re: HELP: Can you switch Illustrator’s file Linking feature from ABSOLUTE to RELATIVE?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 2:31:15 pm

Hey Mike,

Cheers for that mate. I can't believe there is no project profile feature where you can set a working directory and it views that as the root and everything is referenced accordingly from there.

I hate having a messy projects folder but I guess I am going to have to deal with dumping all my media in the same directory as the AI. Such a bad way to work!

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]