FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Vector Images into CS3, help!

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdell
Importing Vector Images into CS3, help!
on Mar 17, 2008 at 3:41:49 pm

This is a bit lengthy, but please bear with me and help if you can.

A while ago I posted on here about trying to get Photoshop 7 working properly on my Mac (specs below), too which I was told (to summarise a lot of posts!) to upgrade. So I have, just installed CS3 on my computer and now I have a new problem! I use Photoshop and Illustrator to produce the text we use in our programmes, I edit the text in illustrator (so we can customise fonts), and then import into photoshop by copy and pasting into the alpha channel the illustrator file, and then using the file in Final Cut Pro. When I try and do this with CS3 it creates what it calls a Vector Smart Object, which just seems to be empty and basically a whole lot of nothing. Which isn't very useful. Photoshop 7 just pastes the text in as an image, how can I set up CS3 to do the same?

Many thanks,

Michael

Michael Lansdell

Online Editor,
Available Light Productions Ltd

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 5.1.4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Return to posts index

ekim wahs
Re: Importing Vector Images into CS3, help!
on Mar 17, 2008 at 4:43:34 pm

Select Paste as Pixels if that is what you are wanting. If you make a single channel active and do a paste you will only have Pixels and Path as the available Options. How are you selecting the text in Illustrator? The Smart Object shouldn't be blank unless there is no fill on the type you are pasting.

Mike Shaw
Photoshop QE

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Importing Vector Images into CS3, help!
on Mar 17, 2008 at 5:29:56 pm

[Michael Lansdell] "When I try and do this with CS3 it creates what it calls a Vector Smart Object"

Although this doesn't work for what you're trying to do, I recommend you look into Smart Objects, they're one of the most valuable features introduced in CS. They are essentially embedded files (in CS3 Extended this could be an AI file, MOV file, DXF file or more commonly a PSB file) that are preserved 'as is' outside of your document. You can scale such Smart Objects down and apply 'Smart Filters' (new in CS3) without changing the original embedded document, you can always go back to square one.

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]