FORUMS: list search recent posts

Join or combine visible paths

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clif Willard
Join or combine visible paths
on Feb 2, 2008 at 3:01:06 am

Hello and Help,
I am lost on many paths! I created a design in illustrator CS3 using paths. Several parts of paths are underneath objects above them. Nothing new. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of the hidden paths on the lower layers. The image prints perfectly. I have saved it in every available format, rasterized it and then traces it, printed it as a .pdf,l used flatten, compound path, and so on. When I load it into another program, there are hundreds of little paths instead of a few complete contiguous paths.

Is there any way to create a single path for each contiguous visible path?

Thanks,
Clif

AI CS3, PSCS2,Painter XI.V,AE CS3....
PC , XPProSP2, Dual AMD optron 2200s, 2 gig. ram,
GeForce 6800 GraphicCard

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Join or combine visible paths
on Feb 2, 2008 at 4:10:35 am

Is there any way you can post a link to the file? I'm not clear as to what you really need.

1-Check for Locked Objects:
Expand your layers in the Layers palette and look for locked objects, than unlock them - or press Ctrl+Alt+2.

2-Join Paths:
Select two endpoints with the Direct Selection tool and press Ctrl+J, or Object/Path/Join.

3-Delete Unwanted Paths:
Enter Outlines mode by pressing Ctrl+Y or View/Outline. Next, click on the Group Selection tool and use it to select the unwanted paths, and delete them.

You might have some sort of corruption in the document, in which case you may need to copy/paste all of the "good" elements into a new AI document.

I've seen some apps interpret Bezier curves as numerous linear lines, it may be a behavior of the app you're importing into.

You could try saving your AI file as a Version 8 or Version 3 and see if they will import properly into the other app.

Just some guesses.

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]