FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vectorize PSD?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Acquilano
Vectorize PSD?
on Dec 26, 2007 at 8:10:36 pm

Hi guys, totally new here. Just wondering if there is a way to vectorize a psd file? I've live trace but it caps colors at 256. I want to keep all gradients/colors, these are drawings I did in photoshop. Just want everything vectorized so the jaggies go away.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Vectorize PSD?
on Dec 26, 2007 at 11:43:17 pm

Live trace can go beyond 256... see its documentation...

But no.. not really... Raster ≠ Vector

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Jason Milligan
on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:29:25 pm

Did you work at a really low resolution? I don't understand why your raster would have so much stair-stepping otherwise. Is it a painting or colored ink drawing? Live Trace will do a great job of converting art to vector, but it won't reproduce gradients for you (unless something has changed I am unaware of). It will convert them into bands. You could reproduce the gradients in Illustrator and trace the flat colors. Where are you seeing aliasing, everywhere or just the edges of the art?

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Dec 29, 2007 at 12:03:05 am

Hi Jason,
I think of what you describe, you are trying to beat a dead horse...
No matter what program you use, vectorizing is not the solution, to make "jaggies" go away.

I suspect that the drawings you did in photoshop were done at low res. 72 dpi? ( like Jason M. mentioned).
So, no matter what ,it'll be never a clean crisp image. If starting over with the drawings (you could use the low res version as a template, when redoing in a more sufficient resolution) is not an option, you could try to improve the image, by using an app. like GenuineFractalsPrintPro, which due to it's differnt conversion or up-sampling algorithm than photoshop does a pretty decent job.
But don't put your hopes to high-it's not going to be a champion.

Another option could be to print your current image from PS at about 60% to a good quality color printer (photo printer) at maybe 1440 res., then scan it back into photoshop at 600
dpi, so you have room to play and enlarge.

I also like what Jason Milligan suggested, Live trace the outlines etc. and redo the gradients in Illustrator.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Adi

Return to posts index

Jason Acquilano
on Dec 30, 2007 at 1:20:40 pm

Hey guys thanks for the advice. Yeah I did it at at 72 dpi. I'm still rather new to this whole thing, you see I'm trying to make a cartoon using AE. It's working out pretty well, except with this little issue, so I guess I'll try to redo the stuff at 600 dpi? Also What is the best setting for tv in AE I think I'm currently using the NTSC settings 720 somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]