FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fill a distorted image

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nexter83
Fill a distorted image
on Dec 20, 2007 at 5:47:54 pm

I am trying to put an image on a car hood. I can do it manually by distorting the image by dragging the corners and then changing the blending options, however, I am going to try to take this into an automatic process eventually but I can't figure out if what I am trying to do is possible.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Create a solid square object and put it on the hood of the car (I would be distorting the image)

2. Once that is done - is there a way for the image/logo to be filled in that object based on the distortion in step 1?

Summary: What I would be accomplishing here would be to not have to have to distort and blend each image that I want to put on the hood. I can just change a pattern or something and it will automatically put the image on the hood for me already distorted so that I can export it. It is kindof like in Lightwave how you can create a UV map an then change the map fill and it will replace the fill, that is exactly what I am trying to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jason Milligan
Re: Fill a distorted image
on Dec 20, 2007 at 6:38:03 pm

I am assuming you are working in Photoshop.
I am also assuming you are working in CS2 or CS3.

If you convert that square layer into a smart object before distorting it, you can accomplish what you are trying to do. All you would need to do to modify it is double click the smart object layer. This opens it in a new window. Drag your new image into that window. Save and close that window. It will update the distorted graphic in the main window.

A smart object works a lot like a placed file in InDesign or Illustrator.
If you are unfamiliar with smart objects, I recommend reading about them in the help files and online. Smart Objects are one of the most useful additions to Photoshop in years.

Return to posts index

Matthew Joal
Re: Fill a distorted image
on Dec 26, 2007 at 6:38:36 pm

Excellent - thank you. That worked great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]