FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another Illustrator question

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skimber
Another Illustrator question
on Oct 24, 2007 at 5:42:35 pm

This one about compound paths. I'm trying to create a jack o lantern in Illustrator CS2. I created a few layers for the body of the pumpkin - basically four ellipses on top of each other with different shades of orange. I'm trying to cut out an eyehole so I can light it up in After Effects, but any time I try to create a compound path, I can't seem to just make the eye holees transparent. It'll either revert to the lower layers, or, if I group all the pumpkin layers together, I'll lose the layers with the lighter shading as well. What can I do? Thanks.

Sean

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Another Illustrator question
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:24:07 pm

Sounds like your eye is overlapping 2 paths. Use pathfinder >> minus front.

You will need to do this twice to get each eye knocked out of the the 2 pumpkin body shapes underneath, so put a copy of the eye in the clipboard, and use paste in front.

Return to posts index

skimber
on Oct 24, 2007 at 7:05:40 pm

I tried, but it keeps telling me that the filter produced no paths. Please choose one or more filled paths. Now, all of my paths are filled, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Nov 1, 2007 at 7:01:07 pm

Though your selection is filled, the error might be refering to that your selection is not individual paths but a group/compound/masked object/etc.

The appearance palette is a great way to check if your selection has something offending applied which may interfere with pathfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]