FORUMS: list search recent posts

Banding Issues in CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rigger73
Banding Issues in CS3
on Sep 29, 2007 at 12:57:38 am

Ok, i looked for an answer to this in other threads.....but never found the right solution.

I upgraded from CS to CS3 yesterday and every CS project i had a gradient in (which looks perfect) is now banded in CS3 (really bad).

Why is this????? How do i fix it??? (i know about adding noise, ect, ect. but i didnt have to do that in CS!)

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Banding Issues in CS3
on Oct 1, 2007 at 7:00:34 pm

I have not had any problems with gradiuents in CS3.

Is this in Photoshop or Illustrator? How are you they created adn what are the color values?

Check your color settings, you may just have a color profile with a small gamut range enabled.

Return to posts index

rigger73
on Oct 2, 2007 at 1:21:15 pm

I am creating gradients on shape layers and no matter what color profile i use......they are still banded. i just dont understand why this happened as soon as i went to cs3!

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Oct 2, 2007 at 2:37:50 pm

Sounds like you are using photoshop gradient fill/adjsutment layer.

Would help to know where your banding is happening (Screen or printed output), and the type of the files you are creating eg:(color mode, color settings).

Do a view >> proof colors. That will make you screen look banded on an rgb file, as you will be previewing the file in CMYK in the color profile you have set. The key command is command Y, which is a popular Adobe Illustrator command and I occasionally hit on accident in photoshop thinking I was in AI. Toggle that option to off if it is on.

Also try resetting your photoshop preferences.

Return to posts index

rigger73
on Oct 2, 2007 at 10:54:37 pm

Thanks for all your help Mike. Ok, I did some tests and i dont get the banding when i print, just on my monitor. I design poker chips, so all my art work is CMYK and my settings are on SWOP v2.

Now, since the prints come out ok, its just a monitor setting i guess? Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

MIke Gondek
on Oct 2, 2007 at 11:21:13 pm

That is good news, and cuts down the possibilities of what it could be.

Check your display control panel and make sure you are in 32-bit mode. If that is notit then see if this is happening in any other programs, and update your graphics card drivers.

Return to posts index

rigger73
on Oct 3, 2007 at 2:39:47 am

Your a genius!!!! 32 bit it was!!! Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:41:20 pm

[MIke Gondek] "Check your display control panel and make sure you are in 32-bit mode."

Can you do that in CMYK? =O

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

MIke Gondek
on Oct 9, 2007 at 11:01:53 am

I am not sure of the nature of your question, but YES there is a 32bit display mode in the display control panel on windows; which will give you the maximum amount of colors as the millions option on the mac.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 9, 2007 at 2:35:18 pm

I was confused, I thought you were asking the poster to make sure that he was working in 32bpc in Photoshop to minimize banding, not changing the number of colors on the display.

My mistake =)

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]