FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ilustrator outputting fonts for print.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Espnetboy3
Ilustrator outputting fonts for print.
on Aug 20, 2007 at 7:46:04 pm

I am sending a Design for a book cover to the print shop this week. On the phone he said we need you to package the fonts or something or other so we have them and they print correctly. I was thinking of sending an eps so the machine would see this project as a picture not seperate typefaces but he said he wants all the work in PDF. Its going to be a 4 color cmyk process. Anyone know how to save out the fonts I used in this project for a print shop?
Your help would be much apreciated, Thank you.

On a side not, does anyone know how to save microsoft word docs as a pdf?
I think I need acrobat reader or something

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Ilustrator outputting fonts for print.
on Aug 21, 2007 at 5:25:11 pm

Hi,
In your situation, the cleanest and best approach would be to convert the fonts in your Illustrator document to outlines. "SELECT "Select all"...."TYPE" "Convert to Outlines".
When doing this the font is converted into vectors (outlines). That way the printer will NOT need any fonts from your document. This is a save way to prevent font substitution or other font related issues at time of output.

Your other question regarding MS Word: You can either directly export to pdf by enabling macros, or by printing it directly to file using Distiller as the printer. The resulting ".ps" file can be distilled with Acrobat Distiller.

Note: you will have to have the full Adobe Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader )installed, which is in my opinion one of the most underrated programs on the planet.

Return to posts index

Espnetboy3
on Aug 21, 2007 at 5:54:22 pm

Thanks for the help pixel. What I did was I created outlines to all the text and then saved it as a pdf file. It should be good for the printer now correct?

Also is there a way when working on a file in illustrator to uncreate the outlines for text is i want to edit the text? Again thanks for the insight.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Aug 21, 2007 at 6:07:49 pm

Yes, once converted to outlines, you can save it as a PDF . If the document is for a commercial printer make sure to use "Press Quality" setting when saving as pdf .

You CAN'T reverse the process of converting to outlines and then back to editible text.

It is a good practice, to convert to outlines, when the document is ready to go and FINAL.
But save it with a different name...like "myFile_Outlines.eps" so that if you need to, you can go back to the original document "myFile.eps"

Hope that helps.
Adi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]