FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create an open path?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tduncan777
Create an open path?
on Aug 3, 2007 at 4:28:02 pm

I cannot figure out how to create an open path. I apologize if my terminology is incorrect. Using the pen, AI automatically defaults to closing a curved path with a fill. In other words, creating a curvy path, there is a straight line that connects the two ends and fills with whatever fill color is used. I am assuming this means the path is closed but I really don't know Illustrator well.

Does this mean the path is closed? I can make the path have no fill, but the path still thinks the two ends are connected somehow.

This is driving me nuts and the HELP files are not getting me anywhere. I really need this and hope somebody can solve this questions for me.

thanks,
tom

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Create an open path?
on Aug 6, 2007 at 3:34:52 pm

Hi,
when drawing a path with the pen tool, Illustrator fills it with whatever color was selected in the Fill in the tool palette. Just click "no fill" and the path you are drawing stays just a path, whose ends are not connected-an open path.
You can close the path by clicking on the first point you drew on your path, after setting all the other points.When doing so a little circle will show next to the pen tool, meaning you are closing the path.
Hope that helps.
Adi

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Create an open path?
on Aug 6, 2007 at 4:17:02 pm

Forgot to mention that you also can close a path by selecting two open end points with
the direct selection tool ( the "hollow arrow" in the tool palette)and the go OBJECT...PATH...JOIN. The points have to be on the same path though...
-Adi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]