FORUMS: list search recent posts

Former Flame Artist needs Illustrator/Photoshop Help

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colleen @ Grassroots
Former Flame Artist needs Illustrator/Photoshop Help
on Jul 12, 2007 at 1:22:59 pm

I am a former Flame Artist/Compositor that is now doing straight print work and need help translating my flame knowledge into Illustrator/Photoshop CS2. Please help me with the following basic things that I can't seem to figure out.

Soft masks:
I just want to bring an image into Illustrator and then create a free hand SOFT mask around it.

Simple Fill & Matte
I know I am an idiot on this one BUT I am trying to save a file with an Alpha attached and then be able to bring it into Illustrator as a Fill and Matte

Return to posts index

kehrrie
Re: Former Flame Artist needs Illustrator/Photoshop Help
on Aug 14, 2007 at 12:04:23 am

Through trial and error I've determined that:

1. Illustrator can open a Photoshop document that has layers;
2. Those layers that have transparency will carry through as is;

Therefore, for example, if I have a two layer document and layer 2 has transparent bits (or "alpha" if you will), then Illustrator will treat that layer as an object with the transparency that was created in Photoshop.

IMPORTANT --> The key is that you must have either a minimum of 2 layers and your object of interest must be on a layer other than the background layer, which will be solid, OR no background layer. I think. Give it a try.

I don't think it's feasible to try to create a freehand soft mask in Illustrator. It's just not geared for it.

HTH :: kehrrie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]