FORUMS: list search recent posts

Missing font - HELP!

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sales Dude McBoob
Missing font - HELP!
on Jun 28, 2007 at 3:44:45 pm

Hi-

I created my own CD art recently and sent it off to get manufactured. The manufacturer called and said two fonts are missing. I searched my computer and found what appreared to be the missing fonts. I found them in Users > Me > Library > Fonts. I made copies of the missing fonts and stuck them in a folder. I emailed the folder to the manufacturer.

The manufactuerer emails me today saying they cannot use what I sent them because they're not the right file extension for what they need. So I looked around the computer but did not find the file extension version of those fonts.

Then I opened up Illustrator and opened up the original CD art file, and when it opened it was also missing the two fonts! Not only that, but Illustrator went ahead and replaced the two fonts with an ugly 1960's looking font. So I tried to change them back, but when I chose the proper font names from the list, both appear as the identical ugly 1960's font.

In summary, I tried to email some fonts, and in the process I messed up the two fonts so now my own computer is screwing them up.

HHHEEEELLLPPPP!
I'm using OS 10.4.4 with Illustrator 10.

Sam

Return to posts index

Lowtech
Re: Missing font - HELP!
on Jul 2, 2007 at 6:44:07 pm

Well i can tell youthis, I have done the same thing a couple times. Here is what is happening. *when ever... and i mean when ever, you send a print file to a print EXPAND YOUR FONTS* I learned this from an old pro. The old versions on Illustrator where very painful about this. i always expand any thing that has a style, effect or a font just to be safe...

As for the font thing. here is the reason the printer cant find the fonts and cant see the extensions. your mac... doesn't uses extensions. a PC.... Stupid PC does.... basicly to stop this from happening you need to copy out the missing fonts and add a .tff or what ever the file type is to the end of your mac file. this might work. i have still had problems with them. Due to the font licensing and what not. if you have an open type font, then you are in the gold and just add the extension and it will work on both mac and pc systems. Open type fonts are the way to go... get them if you can at all cost... saves you time and money.

As for the font changing problem... all i can say is i hope you have a back up or a PDF you can look at for a road map to what you did. I like to print a home proof to check every thing before i send it.. make sure im happy with colors and what not. if the fonts are still giving you problems i would copy and the art layers that are still working into a new file and just rebuild the type layers. I know it sucks but some times you have to suck it up and do it the hard way. just do some testing to see if a new file has the same problems if it does just post back to my answer and i will try to help. ooh yea ... one other thing. I would also try restarting... It is an old PC trick.. some times it helps...

Cheers
Lowtech

Return to posts index

agassi27
Re: Missing font - HELP!
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:28:29 pm

...just to correct the above Mac/PC talk. Macs do use extensions. Just because you probably have them turned off or because the extensions (such as .dfont, .ttf, etc.) don't show on all fonts doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there. File association is integral to all operating systems. And I wouldn't call a PC stupid. PCs have caught up/passed Macs in many areas and both operating systems still steal good features from each other. Use whatever is best for your situation at hand, but to have such a strong loyalty can hinder your abilities.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]