Faking a 3D bag with 2D art???

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
airheadjordy
Faking a 3D bag with 2D art???
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:44:55 pm

Hi,

I am trying to make a high res 3D mock up of a bag design where all I have is the 2D artwork. The bag is platic and is comparable to a chips bag you would get out of a vending machine. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. I initially made a 3D model of the bag in Maya and projected the image on the bag. The problem was my computer could not handle rendering the image high res. Note: I will need the artwork at a resolution large enough to print on at 20 foot banner.

2. I have also tried using the 'plastic wrap' filter. I first dodged and burned highlights and shadows on 50% gray and then used the 'plastic wrap' filter. In order to make the bag look 3D I used a free deform transformation. The problem with this was the bag art work was also deformed and did not look correct.

So PLEASE let me know if there is a better way to go about this. I feel that displacement maps could work, however how do I make a believable displacement map? Can you buy prefabricated bag displacement maps, or is that just crazy? If so, where? I feel I am missing some trick or something. PLEASE HELP.

Jordan

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Faking a 3D bag with 2D art???
on Jun 15, 2007 at 9:05:39 pm

[airheadjordy] "The problem was my computer could not handle rendering the image high res."

You're not going to like this, but... use a different computer? =/

Why couldn't yours handle it?

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:34:21 am

Hi,

Since you are working on such a large size, I would definitely stick with vector art.

I would get a (chips) bag, photograph it and do the touch-up in Photoshop until you are happy with the image, and then Live Trace in Illustrator (CS2).

You can set up the document at a proprtional scale, i.e. 10% of original size,, and the upsample to final output size.
Since you were working with vector art, you can enlarge to any size, without choking the computer down or degrading the image quality....
In my opinion this can definitely be done without a 3D app.
Hope that helps,
Adi

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:46:52 pm

[pixelmeister] "In my opinion this can definitely be done without a 3D app."

I think it can be, but it's a question of how you want the resulting image to look.

Illustrator will give you a very Graphic Art look while a 3D program can give you a much more realistic look that mimics the reflective nature of the plastic bag. So the technique will depend entirely on the goal! I agree that vector art is the best way to go, but I have a suspicion that 3D vectors would be preferable (;

Darby Edelen
DVD Menu Artist
Left Coast Digital
Aptos, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]