FORUMS: list search recent posts

illustrator text and distort

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ae4life
illustrator text and distort
on May 18, 2007 at 9:33:14 pm

can someone help me figure something out. i know how to add a distort effect to text. It all works well.... but as soon as i rotate the text, it becomes more of the flag effect. i dont get the results i want. can someone please help me figure this out. thanks

Return to posts index

ae4life
Re: illustrator text and distort
on May 20, 2007 at 7:31:56 pm

Anyone out there....

Return to posts index

Nolan Scott
on May 22, 2007 at 3:27:55 am

Using Illustrator CS / OSX 10.4.9

Well, as far as I know, delete the

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 22, 2007 at 12:57:14 pm

Which distortion filter are you using?

I personally like to use envelopes and have found a trick that works incase you edit text, or in your case rotate. I just create a rectangle larger than the artwork, and then I apply OBJECT >> ENVELOPE DISTORT >> (CHOOSE YOUR WARP SETTINGS). Later I can slect just the text with the direct select tool and make change to the text, btu the distortion remains the same shap so I dont have to creat it again. You also have numeric settings with envelope, so you can do things like interlocking puzzle pieces distortion by flopping the numbers on your subsequent items.

Return to posts index

ae4life
on May 22, 2007 at 4:42:54 pm

im trying to bulge the text.

this was done in photoshop.

http://www.scotlandorbust.com/text.jpg

thats what im trying to accomplish.. easy in PS, not so easy in AI. im going to try your method though. it does sound a bit confusing..

Return to posts index

ae4life
on May 22, 2007 at 5:01:47 pm

i cant figure out your technique... please elaborate.. i made te rectangle over my text.. added the bulge to the rectangle.. but how do i get the text to conform to thte bulge of the rectangle. thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on May 23, 2007 at 1:31:39 pm

Select both the rectangle and your text, then apply the envelope distortion to both of them.

You can later edit the text by:
Object >> envelop distort <>> edit contents

The advantage to the rectangle (with a fill and stroke of none) included in your artwork, is if the size of your text changes, than the distortion will follow the same curvature if you change the font to another typeface, size, capitalize, etc. The rectangle acts a a bounding box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]