FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Ungroup The Objects

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Fitzgerald
Can't Ungroup The Objects
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:19:06 pm

Hello All;

I came across a baffling one this morning. I was given an eps of a logo designed elsewhere. The type in the logo is outlined. When I select the type it acts as if it is grouped, although "Ungroup" is grayed out in the Object menu. So it's a compound, right? I go to release the compound and I get a dialogue box that says: "Can't ungroup the objects"

Huh?

How did this happen? I've tried CS and CS2.

Eric Fitzgerald
Hollywood Title

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Can't Ungroup The Objects
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:10:13 pm

What does it say in the appearance palette when you have this selected? Might be an envelope group or the appearacne palette should give you a hint as to what your selection is.

Can you use expand or expand appearance on this logo?

Return to posts index

Eric Fitzgerald
on Apr 26, 2007 at 9:21:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Yes! Expand Appearence did release the group. I've never used this feature. How do you make objects into this kind of group? (Envelope group?)

Eric

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 27, 2007 at 1:54:01 pm

Unfortuantely Adobe does not document well how to utilizie the massivley important feature of appearance, and appearance to me is as important to illustrator as layers are to photoshop.

If I could open a copy of your logo, then I could give you an exact answer but likely multiple appearance attributes are set to one vector path.

For example you could have a logo with multiple storkes using only 1 path with appearance

Light Blue Fill
4pt Dark Blue Stroke
8 pt White Stroke
10pt Black stroke
10pt Black Stroke (with a transform of 1pt right 1 point down with 8 repitions)gives you an extruded type look.

Return to posts index

Eric Fitzgerald
on Apr 27, 2007 at 3:50:18 pm

Mike;

Thanks for the help. I will read up on appearence and envelopes. I was wondering how to create them but I'm sure I just need to RTFM on that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Eric

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 30, 2007 at 4:25:43 pm

The manual doesn't tell you waht you really know so will try to help.

1)Draw a shape, set tthe stroke adn fill both none
2)Now go to the appearance palette and set your file and stroke colro
3)make the stroke thicker, notice taht teh stroke goes half in half out
4)Drag the stroke layer in the appearance pallette, underneath teh fill layer (notice teh stroke now goes outward)
5)Form the appearance palette flyout menu choose add a stroke. Make the stroke another color. Make the stroke thicker than the one obove it and your new stroke colro will begin to show will now notice the
6)Slect a stroke in your appearance palette. Effect >> Distort >> Pucker and Distort.
7) Drag that stroke in the appearance palette to the duplicate icon net to the trash can in the appearance palette.
8) Assign Effect >> Distort & Transform >> Transform (turn on preview and try changing every setting especially copies to a higher value)

Once you are familair with these basic options you can begin to unlock the power of the appearance palette

Return to posts index

Eric Fitzgerald
on Apr 30, 2007 at 9:38:07 pm

[mind sufficently blown]

Thank you, Mike...

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]