FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator CS2 printing to Epson 2400 colors not matching

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lightning-hawk1
Illustrator CS2 printing to Epson 2400 colors not matching
on Apr 4, 2007 at 4:03:16 pm

The subject kind of says it all.

I'm printing Adobe Illustrator CS2 documents to my epson 2400. I am using the Epson icc profiles for my paper (photo quality ink jet paper) , printing from the illustrator print dialoge box. I have perceptual checked. I checked turn color management off in the printer dialoge box.
The colors are WAY off. It seems like too much ble in the mix. Reds are purple, Oranges come out brown and dull.

Is there a setting I am missing to match my files to my prints better?
Is printing photo quality ink jet paper, the problem? (i've managed to get photoshop files printing pretty close with this cheaper paper)

Help!

-S

(I looked through the archives and could not find a match to this topic. Please no flames, I need advice, not abuse)

Return to posts index

lightning-hawk1
Re: Illustrator CS2 printing to Epson 2400 colors not matching
on Apr 4, 2007 at 4:55:16 pm

Update:

When I open the file in Photoshop, and print using its dialoge box, the colors are more or less accurate. I must be missing some setting in Illustrator to get the same results.

Will continue the work around, but there must be a way to get an accurate print in Illustrator.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:39:53 am

Hi,
A couple questions:
What color space are you printing from in Ilustrator?-Document color mode...
Are you printing straight to the printer, or through a RIP?
Does the same color shift occur when printing to "matte" paper?

Adi

Return to posts index

lightning-hawk1
on Apr 9, 2007 at 2:56:05 pm

RGB color space and CMYK. Tried both.
Sending the doc straight to printer.

Printing the ai doc from photoshop seems to be the best solution rather than wasting ink and paper.

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
on Apr 9, 2007 at 9:31:07 pm

Agreed, since PS handles colors a lot better than the AI engine.
I have an Epson 7600 ( running through a Harlequin RIP) and and for the most part I'm able to match the output "almost "100%, but I NEVER print out of Illustrator.
When using Photopaper, it's a different story, and there are some color shifts, especially in the blacks or neutral colors.
That has to do with the colorants that are embedded in the surface of the paper. Photopaper wasn't made to accurately match colors, but rather just print a "pretty" image.
And then of course, running through a RIP helps a lot to more accurately match colors.
I get the best results when using NOT high glossy stock but rather matte or similar paper. The manual of my Epson even states that color matching (calibrated output) is not guaranteed on photopaper, but on matte ( ultrachrome enhanced) paper. I recalibrate every time I replace a new roll of paper.
I have to add though that I mostly work in CMYK and the prints are "contract proofs" for customers, that are used to match when the job goes to a printing press.

One note on the side: Don't let the sending Application AND the printer handle colors-either turn off col.management on the front end and let the printer handle the color management, or the other way around.

cheers,
Adi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]