FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wacom Art Tablets

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Airbrush Art
Wacom Art Tablets
on Mar 24, 2007 at 1:03:35 pm

Is anyone out there using a Wacom Intuos Tablet for airbrushing.
I am thinking about purchasing one . I have been an airbrush illustrator for 26 years & resently started scanning in my drawings & colorizing them in photoshop but the limitations with the mouse is very frustrating.
I have been told the wacom tablets are great . I am used to cutting Friskfilm masks with traditional airbrushing .With the wacom tablets is there a way to mask off areas to air brush details or is it all a freehand program?
Any info would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Wacom Art Tablets
on Mar 25, 2007 at 12:52:08 pm

I don't know much about traditional airbrushing but I think you will be EXTREMELY satisfied with a Wacom tablet. I've had four of them ovr the past 15 years and when you need the control and dexterity of a tablet using a mouse is like... (what was the old saying?)... using a mouse is like attempting to draw with a brick.

There are so many ways in Photoshop to mask off an area you're sure to find one that suits you perfectly. Just spend the time to learn more than one way to make selections so you're making them as quickly and simply as possible. Sometimes manually drawing a mask with the pen tool is best. Other times it's quickest to simply clone a channel into an Alpha channel and then adjust that channel's curve or levels to create a mask. Sometimes it's quickest to just draw the Alpha mask you want.

Best of luck and hope this is helpful.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Some people say that I'm superficial. But that's just on the surface."

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Wacom Art Tablets
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:20:00 pm

Many ilustrators think they need to buy the very large size (12x19) expensive tablet. You really will do fine and most likely better with a standard size (I like 6x8, 4x6 is a little small), and it will probably be better on your hands as you will not have to make such large hand movements to get to the other size of screen.

Wacom also has their Intuos line which has 2xlevels of sensitivity of the grapphire line, and recognizes if the pen tilts, and has a few more mouse buttons. The Cintiq is the highest end option actually lets you draw directly on the screen.

I would recomend a 6x8 Intuos for you, if that does not make your budget then a grapphire.

You will digitally be able to accomplish better masks quicker than with friskfilm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]