FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator Logo Design Question

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cellington
Illustrator Logo Design Question
on Feb 27, 2007 at 10:25:59 pm

I see a lot of company logos that have beveled text. Do these companies design their logos in adobe illustrator with bevel effects? I have adobe illustrator cs2 and the bevel effect is not near as good as photoshop cs2. So when bevel text is used in big company logos do most of them use illustrator's effect or is there another way they create them? What is the correct workflow to create a vector logo that has beveled text? Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Vintendo
Re: Illustrator Logo Design Question
on Mar 6, 2007 at 7:36:48 pm

Another million dollar question.. lol
I'm an illustrator who prefers to look for Illustrator solutions. Ideally you would want to develop the logo entirely in Illustrator. Take a look at this vector.. http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/?query_id=5808722&page=1&mtype=&bran...
... and cry. This example probably doesn't exactly show the beveling you are looking for, but the techniques are evident.

Beveling with Copy+Back (the quick way) (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+B)
This can be done with live text objects. You duplicate an object behind itself, recolor it, than nudge it into position to create the 'bevel'. Adding a stroke with Rounded Cap & Join, to the lower layer, is also nice.

Beveling with Pathfinder (the professional way) Probably what you're looking for.
Convert text to outlines, and copy the object off to the side of your main image to do the pathfinder operation. With this copy, perform a Copy+Back than offset the object into the bevel position, resizing it if appropriate. Select both objects and click the Divide button in the Pathfinder palette. You now have a vector object that is the exact shape for your bevel. You may need to add paths to serve as bevel lines prior to the Divide operation if your design requires it.

Beveling with Appearance & Graphic Styles (Highly editable, complex, but is the least reliabile when printing through a service bureau)
This also can be done with live text. NOTE: Always build original appearances on simple shape objects and NOT text objects - trust me.
Make a small square with no stroke or fill and keep it selected. Go to the Appearance palette and add a new fill color, whichever. Object still selected, go to Effect/Stylize/Drop Shadow and enable preview, set the Blur to '0', select a color for your bevel shadow, and click OK.
Object still selected, go to Effect/Stylize/Drop Shadow and enable preview, set the Blur to '0', ADD NEGATIVES '-' to the X and Y values, select a color for your bevel highlight, and click OK.
You could round corners with the paths Cap & Join options, or on the shape itself by adding Effect/Stylize/Round Corners.
Once you have designed a shape object with a nice appearance you can drag it into the Graphic Styles palette and apply it to other shapes or live text objects! Nice.
Note that the Round Corners effect may produce odd (yet easily fixed) results on text objects.

On top of these techniques, you will often use Object/Path/Offset Path to help generate your bevels, especially with Pathfinder techniques.

Hope this helps. : )

Return to posts index

cellington
on Mar 14, 2007 at 11:09:06 pm

Vintendo,
What about using the bevel and extrude effect in adobe illustrator cs2? What do you think about it?

Return to posts index

Vintendo
on Mar 19, 2007 at 12:18:47 am

I've been trying to use those as much as I can. I've found that 3D modeling effects, in Illustrator, can sometimes cause a complex document to corrupt.
But, since you lose your original line-art when you Object/Expand the object anyway, I'll sometimes move the 3D effects into a new document and paste the expanded object back into the print file.
Hope that makes sense.
All of Illustrator's effects generators are great. And, having the ability to craft complex effects and save them as Graphic Styles is nice too.
These effects can be pushed really far - I've just been messing with the Map Artwork option in the 3D effects options. Quite nice.
I'm sure there are plugins that greatly expand Illustrator's extrusion tools. I've see them marketed to architectural and real-estate related businesses.
Or, you could jump into Cinema 4D, but if you need vectors for print than stick with Illustrator (for now?).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]