FORUMS: list search recent posts

Character window text display in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Budrick21
Character window text display in Illustrator
on Feb 8, 2007 at 8:21:40 pm

Hey there

I just happened on this by accident, but when I went to the character window to select a font, the drop-down displayed all the fonts as samples, rather than just giving all the names in Helvetica or whatever. This was remarkable because I had never seen this before. A few minutes later I went back to select a new font, and instead of samples, it was back to the plain helvetica display.

So my question is, how do I get Illustrator (and Photoshop, if possible) to display my fonts in the character window dropdown all the time?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Return to posts index

pixelmeister
Re: Character window text display in Illustrator
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:42:58 pm

Don't use the "character pulldown". Instead go to ...menue bar ...type...font.
All the fonts should be displayed correctly.

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:53:23 pm

No, actually they are all displayed in the system font that way.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:00:21 pm

We certainly do know what you are talking about. In Illustrator or Photoshop

PC: edit >> preferenes >> type >> CHECK THE FONT PREVIEW BOX
MAC: Illustrator >> Preferences >> Type >> CHECK THE FONT PREVIEW BOX

In Illustrator the font menu in the type palette does nto display in it's own face.

Though I like this option, I suggest turning it off to speed up your machine when not needed, adn this can crash on certain systems especialy if you have a corrupt font. I usually do my font preview in Suitcase, as I can get the font bigger and make a better choice for a headline font. I also like suitcase cause I can sort all my fonts by styles (transitional, slab serif, dingbats, art deco)

Return to posts index

Budrick21
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:13:32 pm

Thanks, Mike. I saw that in Preferences, but passed it over because it says Preview Size and that threw me. What's odd is that this preference changed itself twice within a minute or two without my going into preferences at all, which made me think it was a shortcut. I guess it was really my Preferences corrupting themselves.

By the way, I'm not a print guy, but I find Suitcase more trouble than it's worth. Maybe because I don't own a huge number of fonts, but frankly it just seems like another middleman between me and my fonts.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Feb 14, 2007 at 4:34:33 pm

I feel many people are lucky with fonts, and for the most part use them without problems or workaround that.

Just about any company I independant contract work for has font problems they do not know how to solve them, so they use workarounds like setting palatino Italic on Machine number 9 cause it is the only one that works.

Suitcase is the msot comprehensive solution and has almost everything you need to fix fonts. For you it may not be needed, but I think it is the best font management soluition out there, and I have tested it thoroughly against most every product out there from Linotyope, Fontagent, Corel Font Navigator, ATM.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]