FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imported Illustrator CS files look bad in Photoshop CS

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mvesvideo
Imported Illustrator CS files look bad in Photoshop CS
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:52:39 pm

I am working on some layouts in Illustrator. I am exported them as psd files so I can import the layers in Premiere. When I import them into Photoshop or Premiere, the fonts look blurry. They're not crisp as they are in Illustrator. I have created other images in Photoshop that look good in Premiere, but the current layout is more involved and I wanted to use Illustrator. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Vintendo
Re: Imported Illustrator CS files look bad in Photoshop CS
on Jan 12, 2007 at 6:44:23 pm

From Illustrator, export a PSD at 72 DPI. Open the PSD in PS, rasterize each layer, and resave the file. Vector graphics generally lose some sharpness when rasterized.
Your edges will look a bit nicer if you rasterize on to a solid background, rather that on a transparency.

Depending on your process, you might need to 'deflicker' the layers before opening the images in a video editing app. (...if the final product will be viewed on a CRT.)
I found a nice PhotoShop action called 'Deflickerator' which does the job.

For better control with compositing graphics for video you may need to explore After Effects.
Also, I haven't fully explored this but, when bringing graphics into Premiere I sometimes add Gaussian Blur - 0 or whatever the smallest number is to force a rendering on the imported material.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

mvesvideo
on Jan 12, 2007 at 8:05:48 pm

Great tips. Thanks for your help. Before reading your post, I learned to import the illustrator file, rasterize it, and apply about 5% blur and it looked decent. Unfortunately, I lost the layers. How do you rasterize each layer? Is it possible to apply blur to all layers without having to manually do it to each layer?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Vintendo
on Jan 15, 2007 at 6:37:55 pm

When exporting the PSD from Illustrator, make sure 'Write Layers' is checked in the Options. (Of course, you'll need to have your AI file arranged in layers).
As far as applying blur to multiple layers in PS.. I'm not sure. You could apply the blur to your first layer, than Cmd+F to the remaining layers...

Return to posts index

mvesvideo
on Jan 16, 2007 at 4:06:44 pm

That worked. Great.

Now I have a damaged project file that won't open. Thanks for helping me solve the first one. If you have any ideas on the damaged file, I'd appreciate it. I tried importing the file into a new project and it didn't work.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Vintendo
on Jan 16, 2007 at 5:39:49 pm

OUCH! If it's the AI file that is damaged, and it's CS with PostScript, you might be able to recover it by opening the file in Acrobat, Save it as a PDF to be opened with Illustrator.

Note: I've seen Illustrator fail to open AI & EPS files, reporting that they are corrupted. Usually a system restart will allow these files to be opened.

Return to posts index

mvesvideo
on Jan 16, 2007 at 6:37:30 pm

No, it's a Premiere Project. Thanks for the idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]