FORUMS: list search recent posts

fonts

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paloma
fonts
on Dec 31, 2006 at 1:26:34 am

hi,
i'm having a bad font day. i loaded some fonts into suitcase extensis & apples font book. when i open illustrator a bunch of fonts are ghosted. short story i deleted some fonts from my hard drive bacause when i tried to activate them suitcase gave me a message that they confliced w/ the ones in my harddrive, so i deleted some stuff & now have missing fonts in my suitcase & really really need help. what is the correct procedure? & can i just use apple font book & get rid of suitcase?
many thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: fonts
on Jan 3, 2007 at 3:11:03 pm

There is no official correct procedure, but having managed the computers for over 350 creatives at an ad agency back at the turn of the millenium, I can outline for you how to set this up.

In fontbook disable as many fonts as you can, except you should leave the webfonts active (safari and a few other apps will thank you for this). Disbling them in fontbook will allow suitcase to later resolve FOND ID and other naming/family conflicts, and open and close fonts for you.

Make a folder called fonts on your drive (either in my documents, or even on the root level of the drive) and keep/organize all your fonts in that folder. I have folders for names of companies (eg: Bitstream, Corel, Font Co, Thirst, House, Emigre)and then I have folders by letters A to Z (this is just a proper way of doing this if you have many fonts, as the mac or even a pc begins to slow down once you have >200 files in one folder)

Finally open suitcase, and make set names that match your folder names, and then drag and drop each folder from your hard drive, onto a set in suitcase. You have now told suitcase the location of all the fonts in your collection, so auto activation can open them for you.

You may not have time to do all the organizational steps I suggested, but this will save alot of headache later for duplicate/corrupted/missing fonts. You may also want to test out your fonts by opening each of the sets you created, and then click through the menus to resolve font conflicts. This can save you headache later when you need to use a font.

Finally try to keep the minimal set open, as your machine will boot quicker and your font menus will pull down quiicker. nly make permananetn what you use often and open fonts as needed. realize tha you will have some fonts being opened through the application itself. Adobe stores fonts with the applications folder such as Adobe Garamond, luckily thsoe fonts are good and you should renumber other fnts if they conflict with fonts opened through your Adobe apps or system/library.

Fonts can be a nightmare, and a book could be written on the topic, hope this helps you out. Oh you also should do a find on your drive for .lst, and delete all those files. They get corrupted eventually the more you use fonts, and they will regenerate themselves when needed. This resolved hundreds of mac help desk calls by deleting those font list files.

Return to posts index

paloma
Re: fonts
on Jan 8, 2007 at 9:47:51 pm

mike, thanks for the advice. this is definitely something you could almost commit suicide over. i'm afraid people are going to laugh at me here, but i'm in trouble , still. i took your advice (differently) i erased all the fonts in suitcase & (i do have them organized by alphabet as you noted) decided to organize them in apple's font book. i stored all the fonts in my hard drive, fonts folder then added the font throught the font book program. but when i open illustrator the new fonts are ghosted. oh i also deleted most of the .lst files.
greatly appreciate any advise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]