FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator Batch Remove Raster

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vintendo
Illustrator Batch Remove Raster
on Dec 20, 2006 at 2:33:31 pm

During my down time, I've been tasked with going through an Illustrator EPS archive to remove the raster layer that we use as source for our illustrations - to recover storage space. There are thousands and thousands of these files.
Any thoughts on batch processing?
GhostScript seems interesting?

Also, I've noticed that Illustrator will sometimes NOT reduce a files size after deleting a raster layer and saving the file. Sometimes the file size will reduce only after doing a 'Save As', and rewriting over the existing file. Sometimes nothing will reduce the files size?? These EPS's range from 5MB to 120MB in size.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Illustrator Batch Remove Raster
on Dec 22, 2006 at 7:34:42 pm

I had a post about a year back on this topic, btu will try to pass on what I remeber. You may want to add to your script:
Remove unused Swatches (pattern swatches add quite a bit)
Remove unused Graphic Styles
Remove unused Brushes

Lots of files repeatedaly have the same basic set of default items in them. Peopel dont realize that when they create a new illustrator file, that the file is lodaed with items from the default file.

If you go with .ai instead, you can save as and remove PDF compatibel (Will give you a really small file, but unfortuantely InDesgin wont place without the nasty PDF compatible).

Another serious option to consider might be the .pdf format. Depending on what you do with the files you will need to chsoe whetehr to go use ai, eps, or pdf. All 3 are vector and can be opened in Illustrator.

If you files are all vector logos, then you should be getting much smaller files. Mine average 110k as .ai. I believe I saved down to ai8 as CS1 & CS2 made the fiel larger with no benefit. PDF seems to get even smaller, and you get a nice preview in windows explorer.

I also added in my script from the align palette to center the logo on the illustrator canvas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]