FORUMS: list search recent posts

.AI and .EPS

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CassiusHandoyo
.AI and .EPS
on Aug 30, 2006 at 4:47:36 am

Hi,
I am currently using illustrator for quite some time. Recently there is somebody who asked me to send an artwork using an EPS format. I just want to know the difference between EPS and AI, except the file size. What is the best way to create an EPS file, and Why if I open the EPS in Freehand It turns out to be pixelated? Really appreciate for the help. Thank You.

Return to posts index

Vintendo
Re: .AI and .EPS
on Sep 11, 2006 at 7:05:24 am

An EPS file is a Post Script data file and is a more portable file format. Printers and service bureaus almost certainly accept EPS files, but not necessarily AI files. There is plenty of information about the EPS definition and specification.
Visit Adobe for info on the PostScript file format.

I dont regularly use Freehand, but I suspect the version (or setting) you are using is simply displaying placed EPS graphics in that preview mode - Similar to older versions of Quark, perhaps??
Does your EPS file print correctly?

Personally, when I create an EPS file, that means I have completely developed the Illustrator file and finalizing for print or transfer to a plotter system such as Gerber or FlexiSign.
By this point, all fonts and strokes are outlined and print transparancies are tested.
I've found the RGB color mode to be very reliable, when going to digital print.

AI/Effect/Document Raster Effect Settings/300ppi, Antialiasing
AI/Save As/TIFF 8-Bit Color, PostScript Level 3 (it's the most capable PostScript level)

I feel pretty safe with Version 8 EPS files, most users can be expected to open this version.
I've seen rare issues with EPS files, where complicated compound paths have not interpreted properly, when going to print. Requiring a rebuild.
Some printers or plotter systems may require a lower version, such as Version 5.
Saving to lower versions, such as a Version 3 EPS will Expand or "flatten" various effects. These may include breaking of type to point type, or expanding of gradients. Stroke widths are maintained.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]