FORUMS: list search recent posts

A real newbie question! What is illustrator?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Bareham
A real newbie question! What is illustrator?
on Apr 24, 2006 at 6:26:21 pm

I own Production Studio Premier and have used most of the core products - such as PP,AE,PS and Encore.

But where does illustrator fit in and in what way does it differ to Photoshop? I guess whats confusing to me is the interfaces look very similar.

Can anyone point me to some good getting started articles? A trawl of the net hasn't been that productive...

TIA

Dave

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: A real newbie question! What is illustrator?
on Apr 27, 2006 at 12:31:32 pm

The biggest difference is that Illustrator is primarily a vector-based program, whereas Photoshop is a bitmap program. Biggest advantage? Not resolution-specific, infinitely resizeable and always clean. It is meant for... illustration-type work (or even technical drawing) but not for working with photos.
I created a (very low-quality) diagram for someone the other day, it might help:

I suggest you check out Lynda.com for your educational needs. Also, ComputerArts (a UK based mag) has some great tutorials for all sorts of apps (including Illustrator). You can find them here.
I hope this can get you started.
Cheers,
iso

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: A real newbie question! What is illustrator?
on Apr 27, 2006 at 12:36:59 pm

Sorry, maybe I should specify something: You can use Illustrator for working with bitmap images. It is definitely something you can do. I just meant that, in general, people use it for vector-based artwork.
It's also a great place to prepare your images/stock for Flash (also a primarily vector-based app).
If you have any more specific questions, it will be my pleasure to answer them as best I can.

Return to posts index

Dave Bareham
Many thanks for taking the time to reply...
on Apr 28, 2006 at 1:54:06 pm

..much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]