FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dumb Question

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robertmro
Dumb Question
on Apr 21, 2006 at 11:23:01 pm

I know that Illustrator CS2 looks for fonts in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, but PhotoShop CS2 doesn't. It gets it's fonts from /Library/Fonts. Is putting all the fonts into the /Library/Fonts folder so they can both use them, the correct thing to do? If so, why does Illustrator automatically install them into /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts?

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Dumb Question
on Apr 27, 2006 at 4:35:26 pm

Actually a good question, and I am not sure why Adobe does this. When I have had to fix a machine withfont problems in one application and not the other, this was the reason.

If there is a font you woudl like for another application to use, I woudl make a copy on your drive to your own font liabrary and use font book or your font manager to load this for all applications to use.

At one point I removed all the foreign language fonts (cause I have no use for Korean, Japanese, Chinese and wanted to shorten my font menus), and my system started up with all the files on the desktop having no name (Whcih made no sense, since my system was not using Asian fonts to display that). So I would recomend leaving a copy in the exisiting folder of fonts that applicatiosn insitall, unless you really have the time to troubleshoot and are tech savvy enough to get yourself out of a mess.

Return to posts index

robertmro
Re: Dumb Question
on Apr 28, 2006 at 5:01:52 pm

Thanks for the insight.
I ended up moving all fonts, except for the ones in /System/Library/Fonts/, to /Library/Fonts/, and that includes /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/ and ~/Library/Fonts/. The only thing that I left in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/ was a folder named "Reqrd" with it's subfolders including font content because I was completely mystified by it.
So far, all programs seem to be happy with the solution but I would still like to know why Adobe has implemented this directory system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]