FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow suggestions

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
workflow suggestions
on Apr 2, 2006 at 3:36:49 am

Here is what I did:

1. Received print resolution PDF from outside designer.
2. Had to correct some text - did this in Acrobat with touch up text tool - no problem there.
3. Had to change some images on the brochure - opened PDF in Photoshop. Made changes/additions.
4. Saved as PSD (I realize you can save as layered PDF)
5. Saved as new PDF file (no layers, no transparency, no image interpolation).
6. Imported this PDF into original multipage PDF using Acrobat, deleted offending page, saved.
7. Appears ok and ready for print.

This was a convoluted way to do this, but the original Quark document was not available to us for whatever reason.

Anyone have an alternate solution?

Mike

Return to posts index

JB1981
Re: workflow suggestions
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:58:33 pm

I would have opened in Illustrator for both steps 2&3. Photoshop makes you choose a rez and render out certain elements when opening a PDF correct? Seems like it would cause less of a change in the file if Illustrator was used. Depending on whether the image you needed to replace was placed separately, or if the whole page is a single image. Even if it was a single placed image, id copy and edit the image in photoshop then use place to drop it back in Illustrator.

Can someone confirm?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 7, 2006 at 11:31:01 pm

you are correct - you can edit the text in Illustrator - each word appears to be a separate object, but it can be done if need be (double click on text, that word becomes an editable text object) You can't just click the text once with the text tool like in photoshop - it creates a new text object.

This could have saved me flip flopping between programs.

Anyway, we did eventually get the Quark files, but this was good enough to get the client's approval on a new design for the cover without going back to the designer.

I must learn more about Illustrator - the 2 hours spent so far have been eye opening.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 11, 2006 at 2:13:38 pm

If you are printing this, then you may want vector qulaity logos and type. You also may find this a quicker method.

1) Open the PDF in Illustrator (in most PDFses Ilusrator editing capability is ON)
2) Do all you edits in Illustrator
3) If you have images to edit you will have to unembed them from the CS2 links palette, or copy and paste into photoshop, and set dpi to 300.
4) Send the .ai file to your printer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]