FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking objects in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
isotrope
Linking objects in Illustrator
on Mar 24, 2006 at 8:39:34 pm

Hi everyone,
I keep looking for this on the web and I keep coming up short.
Can you link objects in Illustrator in the same way that you would link Layers in Photoshop (without Grouping)?
I tend to have multiple copies of an object (one for the compound, one or two for fills and gradients blended, maybe one for the stroke,...) and would love it if I could link them all together. I know that I can create Selection groups, but I would like to be able to have this so that it would respond the same way as clicking on a Group.

Thank you very much,
iso

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Linking objects in Illustrator
on Mar 26, 2006 at 1:36:05 pm

Look into using the appearance palette. This is the way you can have one vector object, and assign multiple fills strokes etc to one editable object.

The appearance palette is a little tricky to understand because of limited documentation, but once you master this palette you will see why appearance in illustrator is as important as layers are to Photoshop.

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: Linking objects in Illustrator
on Mar 27, 2006 at 11:12:01 pm

Thanks Mike.
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was away.
I am starting to get familiar with the Appearance palette. And yes, it does do a lot of what I need. But I would like to be able to link different shapes from different groups. Unless, you can have a shape within multiple groups(...?)
Thank you very much for your input, it is much appreciated.
Cheers,
iso

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]