FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assigning part of a gradient as transparent in Illustrator?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gizmo1990
Assigning part of a gradient as transparent in Illustrator?
on Feb 7, 2006 at 1:20:21 pm

Using CS2, is there anyway to assign a 'transparency' to gradients? An example would be adding a darker skin tone to some skin in the form of a pen selection. Then applying a gradient with the dark tone one side and transparency the other. The normal skin tone (in a lower layer) would show up underneath the darker skin tone layer where it's transparent.

I'm just getting to grips with Illustrator now and its gradients function and being able to apply one part of a gradient as transparent would seem very natural to my mind? Especially to create graduations of shadow skin tone.

However I can't seem to find out how this would be possible?

Does anyone know if it is or another method to do what I've described?

Any help really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
Re: Assigning part of a gradient as transparent in Illustrator?
on Feb 8, 2006 at 5:47:01 pm

I think you can do what you want with an Opacity Mask if you create an opacity mask out of an object with a gradient applied. It's in the flyout under Gradient (Create Opacity Mask). Check the help for info - I've only played with it, so I'm not going to be much more help, but I think it will do what you want.

- Kim

Return to posts index

gizmo1990
Re: Assigning part of a gradient as transparent in Illustrator?
on Feb 10, 2006 at 12:31:28 pm

Thanks very much Kim!

I've been using the trial version of CS2 and for some reason the help function isn't working properly. However I've just purchased it now so I'll look into what you say. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]