FORUMS: list search recent posts

scaling patterns / keyboard shortcuts

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan
scaling patterns / keyboard shortcuts
on Dec 14, 2005 at 12:50:39 am

2 questions

is it possible to scale a pattern in a fill>pattern operation. for example some of my patterns just seem to

does anyone have any handy PDF's or links to any decent simplified keyboard shortcuts. something like a list of the most common ones

thanks

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
Re: scaling patterns / keyboard shortcuts
on Dec 14, 2005 at 3:03:59 pm

Scaling patterns:

In your transform palette, bring up the flyout menu and set it to "Transform both" (transform both object and pattern fill).

Return to posts index

jonathan
on Dec 14, 2005 at 6:25:48 pm

i think this is what i need, but im not clear where i find the transform palette, i probably just dont think of it as that name. sorry to have to ask an interface? but this is something i really need to grasp. thanks for taking the time ; )

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Dec 14, 2005 at 6:27:46 pm

No problem.

Window > Transform to bring up the Tranform palette. A very handy palette for precision scaling and precision placement of objects.

k

Return to posts index

jonathan
on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:37:01 pm

am i special or what, i could only find thgis in illustrator. im not seeing it in PS. what im trying to do is scale the patten fill behind or within the selection area that im pasting in. anyway, for some reason, im kind of gimpy on this.

thanks

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Dec 14, 2005 at 11:10:21 pm

Duh. Assumed you were talking about Illustrator.

I don't know how to scale a pattern overlay with a layer, not while it's a live effect. You can "merge" the layer effect with the layer by creating a new blank layer, linking it to your layer with the pattern fill, then selecting Merge Linked from the Layers flyout menu. Then the pattern overlay won't be a live effect anymore, and will scale with the layer.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Dec 16, 2005 at 9:04:41 pm

IN Phtohsop I alwasy create patterns using an adjustemnt layer (icon at teh bottom middle of the layers palette taht is half black/white).

You can put you cursor in the percentage box to selctec the value, then use the cursor up or down key to adjust the size like a keyboard command.

The beauty of using adjustment layers is that you can always easily edit the scale of your pattern or the position by drag and dropping while you have the adjustment layer window open.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]