FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printer marks, illustrator?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
micah et
Printer marks, illustrator?
on Dec 5, 2005 at 11:27:48 pm

I'm trying to prepare a DVD label graphic for a printer. I'm using a mac and illustrator CS.

I've been told by one printer to use the adobe distiller and that they want it in pdf format. How do i apply the printer marks (ie registration marks and other color information) using distiller? Or do i need to do this process in illustrator? The fact that it is a DVD label is making it more challenging. I know it's probably quite a simple process - just a matter of knowing what buttons to click.

thanks,
micah

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
Re: Printer marks, illustrator?
on Dec 5, 2005 at 11:44:14 pm

Your crop marks will be in the Postscript file that Illustrator creates. Distiller will take that Postcript file and turn it into a PDF. So you need to tell Illustrator to put the crops on the page.

You'll need to have a Postcript printer driver installed (Distiller will work) in order for the next instructions to make sense.

Crop/registration marks are in your print dialog box.

File > Print

under the Setup tab, I usually set the paper size to Custom and make the page size 1" larger than the document. That'll give you room for your crop/registration marks to show up in the PDF.

Under the Marks & Bleed tab, you'll find, well, Marks & Bleed. If they haven't told you what marks they want, you can just turn them all on.

There is more involved that that in making the PDF, but that will get you started getting the crops on there.

I wouldn't be shy about having your printer walk you through making the PDF, if you haven't made a press-ready PDF before and you're unsure of how to proceed.

-k

Return to posts index

micah et
on Dec 5, 2005 at 11:52:56 pm

thanks, that helps. Only it seems to be making the registration marks around the artboard not the DVD guide. Does that matter. How will they cut out the image if the marks are not around the actual diameter of the disc?

micah

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Dec 5, 2005 at 11:59:31 pm

You should make your document size the same dimensions as the DVD

Granted, the document will be square and the DVD is round. But say the dimension of the DVD is 4.75" in diameter (that's not quite right, but just for example). Make you document 4.75x4.75 and center the artwork on that page size. Then the registrations marks will be right, and they'll be what the printer needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]