FORUMS: list search recent posts

why is the printer telling me to redo everything???

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Camogr3
why is the printer telling me to redo everything???
on Nov 22, 2005 at 5:35:21 pm

So I was asked to create a logo for this guy. I went into photoshop and built the logo in cymk. I used the bevel function to get a hard chiseled effect for the background of the logo. The logo is a blue hexigon shape with bevels on the six sides, the top three bevels are lighter and the bottom three bevels are darker due to the values set in the bevel setup window. The logo has four colors, blue for the hexagon, red for the company name with a black stroke, white tagline text with a black drop shadow. So blue, red, white and black. I guess it could be considered three colors because of the white.

The logo was used in a 4 color process brochure (there were photos to make it a four color job)and the client didnt like the way the blue turned out. "It didn't look like it did on the computer monitor." So I told him why and he went to the printer and looked at some swatch books picked a blue and red he liked.. 100-c 97-y 0-m 5-k. I forget the red value.

So now the printer wants me to redo everything in Illustrator and he wants to print the jobs (brochure, business cards...) as spot color jobs. The brochure would be a 6 color job - four color process plus the blue and red spot colors. So why do I have to redo everything in Illustrator if the client picked out a cymk value blue and red that he likes? Won't the blue always be the blue the client likes if I just adjust everything in my photoshop file to make the blue 100-97-0-5? Also can Illustrator create a hard bevel like photoshop. And if the printer wants me to recreate the logo in Illustrator using spot colors how do the three bottom bevels that are darker than the face of the logo get darker? Does Illustrator automatically screen the top three bevels so they are lighter and add a black screen to the bottom three bevels to make them darker?

Bottom line, if the client approved a cymk blue, why does the printer want me to redo everything for spot color printing? Can't he make film from photoshop, I know he can, he already printed a first run of the brochure. The client just didn't like the blue at the time.

Sorry for this being so long, I just had to give a little history here. I'm trying to see why the printer won't use my corrected photoshop files. And can I get the same beveled look with Illustrator.

Thanks,
Camogr

Return to posts index

John Landry
Re: why is the printer telling me to redo everything???
on Nov 23, 2005 at 2:45:42 pm

A process PMS color will be in the ball park. But for a true PMS color it has to be printed as a spot color. If the customer is that picky and has the money it will be the only way to make them happy. Also when used on letter head, bussiness cards, envelopes etc, it may be cheaper than doing 4 color. I was a pressman for 25 years and have run into this more times than I care to remember!

Return to posts index

Kim Mackenzie
on Nov 23, 2005 at 3:23:13 pm

I'd advise against changing the piece if the client has already seen and approved process swatches. That's not to say it wouldn't look better if the red and blue were run as spot colors instead of process. But in my experience, it's not a good idea to make changes like that after you've gotten an approval.

Return to posts index

Camogr3
on Nov 23, 2005 at 6:59:33 pm

I agree, I'm not sure why the printer is asking me to rebuild it for spot color when the client approve and chose a cymk value. Also how is the bevel built in Illustrator if I do have to rebuild it. How do get the bottom (shaded) bevels to be darker than the 'spot' blue. The top (highlighted) bevels I guess would be a screen of the 'spot' blue.

And how is the bevel tool in Illustrator? Is it the same as Photoshop?

Thanks,
Camogr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]