FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator / PDF / OS X issues...

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Brock
Illustrator / PDF / OS X issues...
on Oct 24, 2005 at 7:09:58 pm

I'm running OS X 10.4.1, Illustrator 10 and Adobe Reader 7.0.5.

The problem I'm having is with file associations. At the Finder level you bring up the Info palette for a file by pushing CMD+OPT+i. One of the headings there is "Open With". So if I select an Illustrator file and then go into the "Open With" area and select Illustrator 10 then the file in question will open with, you guessed it, Illustrator. I then proceed to select the option to "Change All" so that every Illustrator file will open with Illustrator. Pretty straight forward....

However, the issue is: that process also changes the file association of all my PDF's at the same time. If I attempt to correct it by selecting a PDF file in the Finder then the "Open With" window now shows that Illustrator 10 is the default app to open my PDF's. If I go through the process of changing this to Reader and click the "Change All" button then all my PDF's open in Reader, but all of my Illustrator files do too.

I cannot seem to isolate it such that all Illustrator files open up in Illustrator and all PDF's open up in Reader. This is a new issue. Anyone have any ideas how to correct it for good? The only thing I've been able to do to sort of fix it is to make a large selection of one of the file types and then (with that "Open With" window open) simply change Reader to Illustrator or vice versa.

Basically I must avoid the "Change All" option. But the drawback then is that every newly created or downloaded file of one type or the other must have it's associated application manually set. For instance, right now all of my Illustrator files will open with Illustrator - great. But if I download a PDF then it will default to opening with Illustrator as well.

It's not the end of the world. It's just that 1.) it's a new problem 2.) it shouldn't be this way.

Thanks....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]