FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Illhelp
Illustrator
on Oct 18, 2005 at 12:49:26 am

I just got Illustrator and can not figure out how to overlay two objects.
I have 2 jpgs and both have a white background. When I overlay them the white gets in the way. How do I get rid of the white part? I tried the magic wand but have not idea how to use it.

Return to posts index

seth
Re: Illustrator
by
on Oct 18, 2005 at 5:15:28 am

Option 1:
Research the topic clipping masks and you'll be headed in the right direction.

Option 2:
Use blending modes in your transparency palette

Option 3:
Import a image type that supports a transparent (alpha) channel

utah dvd replication - stotion.com

Return to posts index

Illhelp
on Oct 18, 2005 at 9:38:19 am

I still have NO idea how to use Clipping Mask -- all of these terms are foreign to me. How do you simply take an object with white around it and DELETE the white part??

HELP with detail is much appreciated

Return to posts index

lriv
by
on Oct 18, 2005 at 4:53:27 pm

For future reference, anytime you need help with terms you don't understand, search them in HELP. You'll get alot of detail there. For now, the cleanest way to get rid of the white in illustrator would be to use a clipping mask. If you are familiar w/ photoshop, it's like a mask...it hides part of the image. Here's how to create a clipping mask:

1. Draw a path around the part of the image you want to keep (everything but the white background) using the pen tool.
2. Make sure the path is in front of your image and select both the path and the image.
3. Go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make

this should cut out everything outside of the path

I think the magic wand will only work to select vector images in illustrator. However, you can use it in photoshop to select the white background and either delete it or mask it and then bring your images into illustrator. There are other ways to accomplish what you want in photoshop. But still, I think using paths is the cleanest way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]