FORUMS: list search recent posts

resizing web logos and pics

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Shepard
resizing web logos and pics
on Oct 10, 2005 at 3:09:21 pm

I am constantly receiving images (logos and pics) captured off the web, and I hear that you can resize them ( make them vector) in Illustrator to make large enough to edit with in Avid on anothe NLE. I have not been able to figure it out.
Any feedback is welcome. Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: resizing web logos and pics
on Oct 10, 2005 at 6:26:06 pm

You've heard wrong...

Insist the client give you an AI or Vector EPS...

Blowing up web logos is bad news all around...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

Jason Shepard
on Oct 12, 2005 at 1:27:11 pm

Thanks for the response. I was mis-informed by an Adobe presenter at NAB 2005.

do you know of anything that does allow you to re-size or convert non-vector to vector?

We do insist and in a perfect world people would take heed, but that is not always the case.

thanks
Jason

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Oct 12, 2005 at 1:58:14 pm

Whiel there is a trace function ia AI 2.... it does not work well on pixelated artwork. It is meant for scanning in hand drawings (at high-res) and converting them to vector.

Blowing up small raster artwork just produces garbage. The only thing I've ever down with reasonable success is take an image and resize exactly 200% with nearest neighbor.

While I use Genuine Fractals a lot... I use it to upres video frame grabs. Logos off websites are often 75 pixels across... you need eight times that for a video graphic... so pretty damn near impossible.

You'd have better luck getting a business card or brochure and scanning... I've also mined websites for PDFs which often have high-res logos in them

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

Graham White
on Oct 13, 2005 at 1:21:00 pm

Flash has a trace bitmap function that is not too bad, you set it to trace every pixel,
save as a .ai ver 6 file and then rescale in illustrator, and export there to another image format. It can be pretty clean, but you are of course just getting an expanded version of the web image, with no increased detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]