FORUMS: list search recent posts

pre-press does not match document setup

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom J
pre-press does not match document setup
on Sep 14, 2005 at 1:06:14 am

Hi there,
I have yet to install Illustrator CS on this box, so at the moment I am using 9.0.2

I have a document that I received from my vendor that unfortunately does not match the document that I set-up. The final trim is off by almost a 16th of an inch. Ok so this may sound rather minor. But for sometime now it's been bugging me and I have been working around it. So now I have to ask what to do to correct it.

I have gone back and forth with this to no avail. I even tried to set up a document that uses a 1/8th bleed but that didn't work either.

Here is what's happening and my 2 ?'s.
1. inside document setup I set the size to .125 extra for 1/8th in. bleed but according to the ruler, Illustrator only sets the document to 1/16th not 1/8th. What's the deal, the only way I can get 1/8th is to start fussing with decimal increments to match 1/8th extra (something like .28)... Way off if you ask me.

So my workaround is to have the document at lets say 11x17 and then just create my layout to 11.125 x 17.125 (or 11 1/8 x 17 1/8 according to the ruler), add trim mark info and make sure that my printer knows what is going on so they can properly trim the file.

Has anyone run into this and fixed it, why is Illustrator acting retarted or is it just me?

2. Document snapping. I have snapping turned off but Illustrator is snapping the path guides that I created for trim, bleed, etc to the documents edge. Is there a way to stop that behavior? For some reason I thought that there was a way.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to explain as best as I could.
Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom J
Re: pre-press does not match document setup
on Sep 14, 2005 at 4:54:45 pm

Ok so I wasn't thinking straight last night when I typed this. What I wanted to convey was that I needed the 1/8th in. bleed but when I used .25 (NOT .125 as I mentioned) all around illustrator was not providing the proper bleed or "artboard" size. It was off by about a 1/16th. And my ruler in this particular file was not actually zeroing out where I thought it should.

Anyhow, I dumped my prefs and that didn't work, so I then removed it from the system and re-installed it. It's all good now.

However, about the document snapping. Is this avoidable with objects snapping to the artboard or is that just the way it's going to be?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]