FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Graphics in Photoshop/Illustrator for FCP

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jhenion
Creating Graphics in Photoshop/Illustrator for FCP
on Aug 24, 2005 at 4:05:50 pm

Hi,

I want to create some graphics with a transparent background in either photoshop or Illustrator that can then be imported into Final Cut Pro for a video i'm working on. The problem i'm having is that, although I select a 'transparent canvas' in photoshop or illustrator, when i save the project and load the graphic in Final Cut the background defaluts to white (thus i can't show the graphic overlaying a video clip). I'm sure there's a simple solution to this, but it seem to be entirely beyond me at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- john

Return to posts index

DAblo
Re: Creating Graphics in Photoshop/Illustrator for FCP
on Aug 25, 2005 at 2:02:03 am

Did you save it with an alpha channel? I've found that saving your graphics with an alpha will do the trick. You may also need to flatten the image after you have saved the alpha. I have also saved the image as a PNG and that imports into FCP prety well.

Return to posts index

Perch
on Aug 25, 2005 at 6:45:15 pm

I can't vouch for earlier versions of FCP, but v4 and later will import Photoshop Layers. You don't need to create alpha channels.
TC

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 25, 2005 at 7:12:37 pm

There are LOTS of reasons to not Import Layers into FCP (which you could do since v.1)

Track management
Styles don't import
Sets GEt messed up
Masks are ignored
Many blending modes aren't supported

MAkign alphas is best (automatic in PSCS2 thanks to video actions Create Alpha Channel - wrote it- it's in Actiona Palete submenu to load)

If that's nto an option.. stronglt suggest you pick up me book or DVD as mastering channels takes a bit...

In the meantime.. you can see free videos on subject at my site photoshopforvideo.com

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]