FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATI vs. NVIDIA - Does video card matter?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes
ATI vs. NVIDIA - Does video card matter?
by
on Apr 30, 2005 at 9:03:02 pm

Heylo!

I'm about to purchase a PowerMac Dual 2ghz G5 soon! My question is: does the video card on the G5 matter in terms of photoshop/illustrator performance? Since Apple announced the new PowerMac lineup, my school is discounting the current (well I guess the previous) line-up of PowerMacs. Is the ATI Radeon 9600 worth paying extra for or the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra be more than sufficient for the Adobe apps?

My impression is that video cards today are pretty much at its peak for 2D usage (which I assume Photoshop/Illustrator falls under) and that difference in cards today are mostly its 3D? I don't plan on playing any games or doing 3D on this system, it's mostly for photoshop / illustrator / Final Cut Pro and apps like After Effects. Would I see any real world performance boost going with the ATI? Please correct me if I'm wrong and any suggestions/recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

-Wes

P.S.: The price difference between the old and new Dual 2ghz G5 would be $300

Return to posts index

David
Re: ATI vs. NVIDIA - Does video card matter?
on Apr 30, 2005 at 11:24:53 pm

"it's mostly for photoshop / illustrator / Final Cut Pro and apps like After Effects."

In my opinion you need:

1. RAM - no less than 2gigs (more the best - if you're going to work with AE & FCP)
2. Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra? why not.
3. second HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]